Mmmmm how these cookies bring me right back to my mothers kitchen. Every year my mom, sister, and I would gather in the kitchen and make a ton of these cookies along with many others! How I ate that many cookies at that age I do not know!
I loved these cookies as a child, however, ever since I switched up my food style I haven’t made these wonderful cookies – simply because the original recipe is 1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar as the main ingredients.
So today I recreated this holiday staple with ingredients I feel good about and they still taste amazing ( if not actually better ). I also know the ingredients now are providing me wonderful nutrition as well that my body loves.
Its also just super fun to make the candy cane and wreath shapes! We’ve gotta play with our food too!
Candy Cane and Wreath Cookies
Prep Time: 10 min. Total Time: 45 min. Makes: 7 large cookies
3/4 cup Miyoko’s Butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 flax egg ( 1 flax egg is 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp water )
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
2/3 cup coconut flour
2/3 cup tapioca flour
Spirulina powder & Beet Powder for color
- Mix together the flax and water to make your flax egg. Let sit.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Cream the Miyoko’s butter together with the maple syrup.
- Add the flax egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix well.
- Add the coconut flour and tapioca flour. Mix well.
- Split your dough in half ( for white & green ) or thirds ( for white, red, and green )
- Tint your dough green with spirulina to your liking.
- Tint another section with beet powder for red.
- Roll dough into thin strips about 4 inches long.
- Make a wreath by gently twisting a strip of white with a strip of green dough. And candy canes with white and red.
- Place on a baking sheet with a silicone mat. Brush with olive oil if desired for a golden brown look.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.