A stumbling block I came across while cleaning up my diet was crackers. It was hard to find a decent cracker / chip that didn’t contain a highly processed oil. Most are made using either, or all, of these: Vegetable Oil: Sunflower Oil, Safflower Oil, Corn Oil, Canola Oil.
These oils are highly processed and in the case of corn oil, most likely GMO ( Genetically Modified ) as well.
When it comes to health and longevity of your body – these are not allies.
High processed oils are linked to heart disease, breast and colon cancer, atherosclerosis, and elevated cholesterol. To make these oils the good fats are decreased which increases the bad fats / trans fats.
So here is a cracker recipe that is free from all of that, very easy to make, it takes 10 minutes to put together and I usually finish eating them by the end of the day 🙂
They are filled with dried herbs that support your body – antibacterial, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, eye health, supports proper breathing, enhances concentration, and support your liver.
Homemade Herbed Crackers
Prep time: 10 minutes Total time: 30 minutes Makes: approx 40
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp each: oregano, basil, thyme ( choose your favorite )
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients into a bowl. Mix well and form a dough ball.
- Place the dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment on the dough and roll out into a rectangle to about ⅛” thick.
- Use a pizza cutter or knife to slice into small squares.
- Optional – use a fork to pierce a couple small holes on top for decoration.
- Place your crackers ( on the parchment paper ) onto a cookie sheet and place into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove and enjoy!!!
It’s important to use almond flour for these. Coconut flour produces a very different kind of cracker.